Faculty Supervisor: S. Nagel
This mobile facility maintains a portable suite of high-speed digital video cameras with complementary capabilities. Some cameras are capable of imaging at 1,000,000 frames per second. The cameras may be signed out by MRSEC members for use in their indivdual laboratories. The purchase of these cameras were leveraged through MRSEC and other University support.
The Facility currently manages:
- A Vision Research Phantom VEO640S camera (2560 x 1600 pixels, 6Gpx/s bandwidth, and 1,400 fps at full resolution)
- A Vision Research Phantom v2512 camera (1280x800 pixels, 25Gpx/s bandwidth, and 25,600 fps at full resolution)
- A Vision Research Phantom v1610 camera (1280x800 pixels, 16Gpx/s bandwidth, and 16,600 fps at full resolution)
- Two Vision Research Phantom v12.1 cameras (1280x800 pixels, 6Gpx/bandwidth, and 6,242 ftps at full resolution)
- A Vision Research Phantom v9.1 camera (1632x1200 pixels and 1,000 fps at full resolution)
- A Vision Research Phantom v7.3 turbo camera (800x600 pixels and 6,688 fps at full resolution)
- Two Vision Research Phantom v7.1 cameras (800x600 pixels): one color and one monochrome)
This facility has been extensively used in outreach activities as well as in research. For example, the high speed video is used to film the events at the annual "Physics with a Bang!" lectures so that the audience can see the surprising phenomena involved in explosions, fracture and fluid behavior that occurs too rapidly to be observed by the human eye.