MRSEC maintains a single concurrent user COMSOL Multiphysics software license for shared use on the RCC Midway2 cluster. We have 11 modules available:
- Nonlinear Structural Materials
- Structural Mechanics
- Wave Optics
- CAD Import
- LiveLink for MATLAB
Our COMSOL license is supported as a shared recharge resource. Access to COMSOL is covered under the User Facility Access Fee.
- Create an account on the RCC Midway2 Cluster. Individual user accounts must be linked to a main PI account. Please follow the Request Account guide at the RCC.
- Install ThinLinc to use the COMSOL GUI. Please follow the Connecting guide at the RCC. The ThinLinc web browser client at https://midway2.rcc.uchicago.edu/ is a convenient alternative with minimal difference in GUI responsiveness.
- Follow our Getting Started guide to obtain MPML access and a Scheduler account.
- Contact a Manger to request access to COMSOL. Please include the name of your PI and your RCC username.
- Create a reservation on our Scheduler. Please reserve the length of time you need and use the full time you reserve. Since only one concurrent license is available, all users must have a reservation on the scheduler for the full amount of time that they will use COMSOL. Users that are no-shows, overstay their reservation, or book overly long reservations block access for others. These users will be warned and repeated violations may incur penalties and/or access restrictions.
- Log into Midway2 with ThinLinc and then open a terminal window. You need to establish an interactive session on a suitable Midway2 compute node. While it is possible to launch COMSOL on a login node to view or setup COMSOL parameters, all computations must be done on a compute node. Computations run on a login node may be terminated without warning.
- The default session length is 2 hours and you will be logged off after this amount of time without warning. You may request up to 36 hours of time in an interactive session by including a --time=HH:MM:SS option. For example, use the following to get an exclusive compute node for 6 hours.
sinteractive --exclusive --time=06:00:00
- Load the COMSOL environment module from your compute node. Please do not try to run COMSOL from your login node. The current release version of COMSOL will be loaded but it may be possible to load older versions if necessary.
module load comsol
- Launch COMSOL
- Please see the main RCC documentation for further information on using the RCC cluster: There are simple methods for mapping drives and connecting local storage to the cluster for data transfer.
Important note: Only Software rendering is supported on the cluster. Enabling OpenGL or DirectX rendering will cause COMSOL to crash. Unfortunatly, this is a known issue with no solution.